Last Monday night myself and some friends finagled our way to a spot in Bryant Park for the first of their Summer movie showings. If you live around here I highly suggest giving it a try. They’ve got this gigantic screen, and on every Monday the grass gets mauled by thousands of New Yorkers who’ve got a mind to sip wine, eat cheese and watch some classic cinema.
Last night the movie was Woody Allen’s seminal relationship comedy, “Annie Hall.” If you’ve never seen this movie, you’re missing out on one of the great love songs to New York City. Little comments, inside jokes, famous lines, it all comes together in a brilliant showing of real NYC chutzpah.
So I was thinking, what on earth could be more New York than sitting in Bryant Park and watching “Annie Hall?”
- Possibly any of these things:
- Giving a homeless person sushi instead of a dollar.
- Dressing up as a bagel for the gay pride parade.
- Living here for 20 years and never once having visited either the Met, the MOMA or the Statue of Liberty.
- Being the original inspiration for a character on both Seinfeld AND Sex in the City.
I could use some more.